[TUHS] changes in C compilers

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sun Aug 26 09:56:47 AEST 2018

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 7:14 PM Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

>     > From: Clem Cole
>
>     > Looking at the v6 distribution tape I have, the assembler versions of
>     > roff and nroff was there
>
> Whoa! The standard V6 distribution tape, as in the one there are a couple
> of
> copies of in the repository, does not have that.

The v6 stuff is in Warrens archives.  The files are in the ./s7 directory:
{,n}roff[1-8].s  show dates of July 17, 1975

> Do you have that in machine-readable form? If so, can you get it to Mr.
> Toomey
> ASAP?
>

>     > The order I remember is this ... V5, V6, Patches, Typesetter C, TS,
> V7
>
> Where do USG and PWB fit into that?

This is order of the releases  we had at CMU.

PWB 1.0 was before USG was formed I want to say '77 Mashey lead the team
for sure and I think Frazer may have been part.

USG was Created and APS and Ted were two of First hackers who were there.
Ted tried to get me at some point but I did not want to move to NJ.

Fwiw: The job of USG was to support Unix for the operating companies that
wanted to use Unix at the TelCos.   Steve Johnson I think went over there
from Research at some point (I assume to lead the development tools).

PWB 2.0 was the first Formal full USG release - I think in 1980 but they
did stuff before that.  steve might remember who the original managers were
And other things they released -  I thought Mashey had moved on by then.
Korn's stuff became the Core of the toolkit releases at some point but
dates on that are fuzzy in my memory.

also, Until PWB 3.0 (aka System III) none of the USG releases were licensed
to universities or anyone outside the Bell System . .   but a number of
at&t employees brought it with them On their OYOC times so 1.0, 2.0 etc all
leaked.

I thought TS was done in MH not Summit.  Heinz L was doing Merit around
that time too.    As I understand it, the TS kernel was attempt at bringing
the PWB 1.0 changes in line with what Research had at the time.  Some later
version of That kernel plus some of the Columbus changes for things like
shared memory and ipc became either PWB 2.0/3.0.

PWB 4.0 went to the TelCos but was not released outside.  I don't know of
any University that was interested in it because by the BSD was available
so even if an employee brought it, I don't think many people wanted it.

> The repository has PWB (or, what is _claimed_ to be PWB), which is how I
> know
> the MIT system is PWB. But there is nothing of the others (except the
> kernel
> manual for USG, which shows that the version described in it is basically
> V6)

Right that was leaked somehow.

.

> If anyone has TS in _any_ form (including hardcopy listings, please speak
> up!

I have looked in fact the week I did a huge clean out in the basement.  So
far nothing new. I'll let you know if I find anything readable.

> Those 'early' PDP-11 versions are very poorly documented now, and I'd love
> get more on them.

Yeah as I said it was stream with a lot of cross pollination.

Clem
--
Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual