[TUHS] RetroNet…

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Thu Aug 30 03:25:28 AEST 2018

On 08/29/2018 07:46 AM, William Pechter wrote:
> Also... If you run on the internet remember documented security exploits
> are decades old.  I recommend no open ports except for ssh if it will
> build and maybe UUCP.

I'm working on a Retro Computing Networking project with a few other
people and I think it would be a benefit for things like running 4.3 BSD
and other old OSs in a relatively safe environment.

I'm bringing this up on TUSH for two reasons:

1)  I think THUS members could benefit from RetroNet
2)  I (we) would very much appreciate any suggestions or desires that
the THUS community would like to see in such a network.

The idea behind RetroNet is two fold:

1)  Create a network of interconnected VPNs between interested parties.
2)  Provide ISP like services over said interconnections.

Our hopes are for RetroNet to be able to provide a sandbox / small pool
/ isolated network where members can interconnect with each other (if
they want to) similar to the Internet, but with much less exposure.  (We
are planing on RetroNet not having direct Internet connectivity.)  We
are also hoping and planing to be able to carry any Ethernet based
traffic between sites, routed or not.

I (we) would be very interested in any input that THUS members might be
able to provide.  Particularly what you might like to see in such a network.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die