[TUHS] cat -v and other complaints

ron at ronnatalie.com ron at ronnatalie.com
Fri Aug 31 21:38:34 AEST 2018

> The standing joke with AIX was that it was pronounced "aches" (as in
pains),
> but I was glad that it ran "smit" for admin stuff, as there was no way
that I
> could remember the appropriate Shell commands.

We wanted to call the window manager "panes" on Aix (Aches and Pains).

My only real memory of beating on the RS/6000 was that while it had a 24-bit
graphics card, the X server didn't have a 24-bit visual.
That and I was able to break into the demo box IBM sent me by turning the
key to the "wrench" position and then shell escaping out of a more command
it launched.

I spent more time hacking the 370/PS2/i860 version of the kernel which was a
unified source base.
This had switching console contexts they called the "High Function
Terminal."    We named our i860 version of it the "Low Function Terminal."