[TUHS] cat -v and other complaints

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Thu Aug 30 08:34:05 AEST 2018

On Wed, 29 Aug 2018, Clem Cole wrote:

[ Excellent screed elided ]

> That said, I give the Linux folks great credit for the addition of
> modules was huge and it took BSD and the other UNIX systems a few years
> really pick up that idea in the same way (yes Solaris, Tru64 and
> eventually HPUX etc.. had something too but again - my comment about
> being generally available applies).

Wasn't SunOS first with dynamic kernel modules, or is my memory worse than
I thought?  Linux may have been around at the time, but we never used in
the shop until much later (Red Hat, nicknamed Dead Rat).

> So here is the issue, how to do move the ball forward?   BSD, then
> Linux, became the 'stronger strain' and pushed out the old version.
>  The problem is the ROMs in my fingers (like Dave) never got
> reprogrammed so some of the 'new' becomes annoying.   Will I learned to
> like systemd?   We shall see...

Never mind "systemd"; I'm having enough trouble coming to grips with
"launchd" on the Mac...  Gimme /etc/inetd.conf any time.

-- Dave