[TUHS] cat -v and other complaints

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Thu Aug 30 09:36:05 AEST 2018

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 08:34:05AM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2018, Clem Cole wrote:
> >That said, I give the Linux folks great credit for the addition of modules
> >was huge and it took BSD and the other UNIX systems a few years really
> >pick up that idea in the same way (yes Solaris, Tru64 and eventually HPUX
> >etc.. had something too but again - my comment about being generally
> >available applies).
>
> Wasn't SunOS first with dynamic kernel modules, or is my memory worse than I
> thought?  Linux may have been around at the time, but we never used in the
> shop until much later (Red Hat, nicknamed Dead Rat).

Yep.  And Linux has loadable modules because I posted the SunOS 4.x man
pages for the SunOS loadable modules to the kernel list.  Proving once
again that the open source guys aren't always the greatest at coming up
with the ideas but once you show them that it can be done, it gets done
quickly.  I think they had a prototype working in a week.

> Never mind "systemd"; I'm having enough trouble coming to grips with
> "launchd" on the Mac...  Gimme /etc/inetd.conf any time.

Amen, brother.