[TUHS] cat -v and other complaints

Clem cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Aug 30 11:14:22 AEST 2018

Truth is I think IBM beat Sun on getting loadable modules for the kernel out first.  But I was counting the versions that people really looked at which is why I give Linux credit.

It makes sense they modeled on SunOS btw but the fact is the Linux version is what folks like *BSD and macOS modeled after later.

Btw you are 100% right - As for launchd I agree/no doubt -  but I’d already given up on MacOS being able to be admin’ed like a Unix box.  I can pretty much use it via iterm2 as a user like one and if mostly works as I expect (which I do appreciate).

Linux is seductive enough to make think I should be able to admin it like I have for the last 40 years and it then bites me when I least expect it.

Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.