[TUHS] RetroNet…

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Fri Aug 31 04:11:17 AEST 2018

On 08/30/2018 11:54 AM, Michael Kjörling wrote:
> This sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if I'd be eligible.

I bet that you do.

> What would be the entry criteria? 20 years professional experience as
> sysadmin on 4.3BSD? Physical PDP-11/780 running in the closet?

Valid question.

I'm of the opinion that the entry criteria are a client that can talk to
the RetroNet network (more on that in a moment) and a desire to participate.

I'll also say that a healthy interest / curiosity in anything that runs
over / through RetroNet would be beneficial.  But if you want to use
RetroNet to play Doom across IPX with buddies across town, then you
should be able to do so.  (Assuming that you and your buddies are
RetroNet members.)

As for client, I'm initially targeting something like a Raspberry Pi or
any SOHO router that will run OpenWRT / DD-WRT / Tomato.  Ideally I'd
like to re-use existing images (possibly with a different kernel) and
add on packages.  I'd like those to be the almost-turn-key
installations.  Almost as in you start with that and do some things on top.

If you want to roll your own Linux install that supports the documented
specifications, then more power to you.

One of the purposes of RetroNet is to enable members to be able to
participate and use the RetroNet for what ever they want (as long as
it's legal and does not adversely effect RetroNet or members).  Another
purpose for RetroNet is to provide a network that we can provide a safe
environment for people that want to learn things and help /
encouragement to do so.  Sort of like a mentor in a sandbox.

Aside:  I've been using the term "member".  I don't want that to convey
any meaning other than someone that has signed up and has a RetroNet
account.  I'm not anticipating any membership fees or anything like
that.  Down the road we may set up something like a tip jar to help
cover costs like domain name subscription or other nominal costs.

In short, if you want to play in the sand box and you play well with
others, come on down.  Let's have fun, learn, play.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die