[TUHS] cat -v and other complaints

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Fri Aug 31 11:58:22 AEST 2018

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 08:41:26PM -0400, Dan Cross wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2018, 8:27 PM Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 29 Aug 2018, Kevin Bowling wrote:
> >
> > > AIX takes a lot of shit but there were (and still are) some areas it was
> > > quite a bit ahead of its time.
> >
> > The standing joke with AIX was that it was pronounced "aches" (as in
> > pains), but I was glad that it ran "smit" for admin stuff, as there was no
> > way that I could remember the appropriate Shell commands.
> >

> "SMIT happens "

So back in the BitKeeper days, we supported everything, including AIX.  I've
got a fairly beefy AIX box in my shop in case we need it, 1ghz, lots of ram,
we're never gonna turn that on.  I went into smit and I was just like can
you just frigging let me edit /etc/inetd.conf or whatever, but no.

SMIT happens.  And I did not like it.  I think that's one of the reasons
that SunOS was cool, it was just a better, bugfixed BSD.  So we all knew
how to deal with it.  SMIT not so much.