[TUHS] SunOS code?

Kevin Bowling kevin.bowling at kev009.com
Fri Aug 31 11:59:30 AEST 2018

The effects of copyright on abandonware have been discussed pretty
widely in other communities.  The primary issue is the contracts and
right don't simply expire and it's rare for a company to completely
shutter (i.e. assets including these copyrights are acquired or given
to creditors).

Oracle would need to establish that they have providence over the
files and code, and that exceptions for Novel and other code were
covered by the OpenSolaris rights reviews.  I imagine it might cost
low hundreds of thousands of dollars to do lawyers being what they are
and commercial *nix being such a melting pot of sources.  Since there
is no conceivable revenue stream and Oracle isn't much for goodwill I
am highly skeptical.

Sun releasing OpenSolaris when they finally did and under the CDDL was
pretty tone deaf to what was going on in the market with Linux, but
you have to admire the amount of contract review and legal work that
must have taken.

Regards,
Kevin