[TUHS] hal.gnu.ai.mit.edu

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Fri Aug 31 13:30:46 AEST 2018

On Saturday, 25 August 2018 at 19:45:51 +0100, Steve Mynott wrote:
> Back in the early 90s before the FSF withdrew the service due to misuse it
> was possible to write off to them to get a free shell account on "hal" as I
> did. I recall having to telnet through one of three gateway systems so
> assume it was on its own little subnet.
>
> But I can't remember what sort of system (hardware or OS) it was now
> however and wondered if anyone else did?

I had a login on the GNU systems (there were several of them).  I
can't recall most of them, so they can't have been that interesting,
but there were one or two IBM machines.  I forget the OS, but I recall
using gdb to look at the assembler code of some program or another.
It was clearly related to the System/370.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.