[TUHS] RetroNet…

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Fri Aug 31 14:17:32 AEST 2018

On 08/30/2018 07:09 PM, Cornelius Keck wrote:
> I'm playing with the idea of hooking up a modem to my wireline phone.
> I'd like to keep an eye on my late mother-in-law's place remotely. Best
> I can get out there is DSL, and it ain't snappy, so one idea is to get
> two Telebit Trailblazer modems, one here, one out there, dial into the
> place, pull imagery via UUCP. Trailies spoof UUCP natively, and they
> deal nicely with bad connectivity. One could take that one step further
> and bring back a bit of Usenet.

That sounds like an interesting project.  I'd personally like to
shoulder surf or read periodic updates, possibly a blog or twitter?  ;-)

I don't see how RetroNet can help with that connection.  It sounds like
you've already got a good plan in place.

That being said, I do think that you could have a RetroNet … node
(?term?) … at your house and then pass news feeds / email / etc over
your Telebit UUCP extension.  —  I see no reason why that wouldn't work.
  If you want to do such, cool.  How can I / we help?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die