[TUHS] Running 4.3 BSD on x86 hardware? Suggestions?

Michael Huff mphuff at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 19:46:01 AEST 2018

It's not 4.3BSD, but might be worth an honorable mention...

You can get FreeBSD 1.0, (based on 386BSD, based on NET/2), directly
from the FreeBSD project:

http://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/1.0/1.0-disc1.iso

And then use 86Box ( https://github.com/86Box/86Box/ ) to emulate an
early 90's 486 and install it with FreeDOS on one partition, FreeBSD on
the other.  There's an /sbin/mount_isofs but I haven't stumbled across a
working combination that manages to actually see a cdrom yet. As a
work-around I copied everything from the "tarballs" directory onto the
freedos partition and then installed them from there.

It would probably work on Virtualbox, but I haven't tried.

Have fun!