[TUHS] man-page style

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sun Dec 2 12:59:08 AEST 2018

On 12/1/18 7:44 PM, Larry McVoy wrote:
> I'm kinda with Grant on this one.  Maybe I misunderstood but what I
> thought you did was treat the sendmail.cf as assembler for a weird
> processor and then you wrote a higher level language that compiled
> down to sendmail.cf.  Which, if that's that you did, is pretty studly.
> I think Grant was asking what you did the higher level language in,
> he was wondering if it was m4

Yep, that's what I was my interpretation and my question.

> (which I doubt, if I were doing that it would either be some nasty perl
> script that I thought was going to be small but wasn't, or I'd just go
> to lex/yacc/C).

One of these days I should find out the genesis of the m4 (.mc) file
syntax that is used to generate the .cf file.

I'm curious why m4 was chosen over other languages.  I wonder what the
other language options were.

I know that I learned m4 because of Sendmail's .mc file.  I've since
started using m4 for a number of other things.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die