[TUHS] 2.9bsd with networking on 18-bit possible?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Dec 11 12:36:33 AEST 2018

On 12/10/18 7:11 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> NCP was turned off on 1 January, 1983. What do you think?a

I don't know 2.9BSD's time frame (and did not look it up) so I can't say
one way or the other.

Based on your response I'm going to assume that it's not possible.

> Such as?

I'd have to go back and look, but I think I have read about an NCP and
IP speaking host in the last few months.  It may have been related to
MULTICS.

The idea is that it might be simpler to speak TCP/IP to such a machine
and then connect from it to 2.9BSD, if 2.9BSD supported NCP.

If the OPs goal is to get network connectivity on an 18-bit PDP, then
that might be another option that doesn't require shoehorning TCP/IP
into said PDP.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die