[TUHS] 2.9bsd with networking on 18-bit possible?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Dec 11 13:28:02 AEST 2018

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 7:37 PM Grant Taylor via TUHS <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org>
wrote:

> On 12/10/18 7:11 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> > NCP was turned off on 1 January, 1983. What do you think?a
>
> I don't know 2.9BSD's time frame (and did not look it up) so I can't say
> one way or the other.
>
> Based on your response I'm going to assume that it's not possible.

I kinda doubt it has good NCP support: it was released in November of 1983.

> > Such as?
>
> I'd have to go back and look, but I think I have read about an NCP and
> IP speaking host in the last few months.  It may have been related to
> MULTICS.
>
> The idea is that it might be simpler to speak TCP/IP to such a machine
> and then connect from it to 2.9BSD, if 2.9BSD supported NCP.
>
> If the OPs goal is to get network connectivity on an 18-bit PDP, then
> that might be another option that doesn't require shoehorning TCP/IP
> into said PDP.

I'd get it running in simh, then move to real hardware. It's going to take
a lot of elbow grease to make that work, I think. But I haven't looked in
detail at things.

Ultrix-11 is of similar vintage, and similar functionality and does boot on
the 18-bit 11's.

Warner