[TUHS] Mt Xinu manual scanning finished

David Arnold davida at pobox.com
Thu Dec 20 13:08:03 AEST 2018

> On 20 Dec 2018, at 12:46, Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:
>
> http://bitsavers.org/pdf/mtXinu

The first “unix” that I had serious amounts of time on was Minix 1.something (1.3, maybe?).  This was about 1988, I think.  There was a HP-UX machine (I think an HP-9000) at my university (QUT) that I had an account on, but it was busy, and hard to get a terminal, and I didn’t have dialup access as a lowly undergrad.

So I got a hold of a stack of floppies, wiped my MS-DOS install, and built myself a Minix system on my i286 PC.

In flicking through the Mt Xinu manuals, I’m struck by the fact that my knowledge of basic Unix utilities is, to this day, largely limited to what was in Minix.  jot, rs, various others are foreign to me — and they’re the ones not in Minix v1.

I seem to recall spending many, many hours poring over man pages, reading the docs cover to cover, as I explored the system.

I guess I should read these now … :-)

Thanks Al,