[TUHS] Dynamics between BSD and Linux

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Sat Feb 3 01:07:06 AEST 2018

Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
 |Here's a personal example of the differences.  When I was looking at
 |working with Netflix I emailed McKuisik to ask him about some UFS stuff.
 |And this was me, I know Kirk, I've been to his house, had wine with him
 |and Eric.  No reply.  Ok, I'm old and washed up, I get it.

Even though i have read your message as a maybe even ironic
sharpening, i feel i have to step in and find this hard to
believe.  Maybe there have been technical reasons.  To me micro
micro always an overwhelming experience to receive answers or
mails in general from people of this league, with such names, etc.
This is truly academical spirit.  And you can even make errors, as
long as you can explain why you thought what turned out to be an
error was the way to go.  McKusick?  No...

 |I emailed Linus about the Spectre/Meltdown stuff, asking him if I should
 |release some before/after LMbench results.  Got a reply in about 20
 |minutes where he outlined where things where, where they were going,
 |talked about his stuff getting to the intel CEO, etc, etc.  Linus and
 |I could be enemies because of Git/BK but Linus doesn't care about that,
 |he responded because I had a valid question.
 |
 |I've tried to have the same conversation with BSD people and I was
 |ignored.  +1 Linux.

Well, Matthew Dillon of DragonFly BSD had an initial Meltdown
mitigation in no later but January 5th (and finished on 01-11),
and also posted long explanatory and benchmarking etc. mails.
Later Maxime Villard of NetBSD also posted, a bit cryptic.  Also
on one of the BSD lists, i forgot which, there i saw the link to
the ARM document which was the very best read on this topic in all
that terrible mess of noise surrounding these issues.
So no real need for conversation if the work is done.

 |The BSD stuff isn't being taken seriously because the BSD people aren't
 |interested in taking new people seriously.  Which is a shame because the

I would agree, but i guess it depends on the people whether that
is true or not. ^.^

 |work that Netflix and other BSD people have done is really cool.

I disagree for the non-software related part.  I am damn happy
that we in Germany have TV under public law.  Where programs of
quality can be made, programs which will never make any money, and
maybe even do not get a price.  Non-trivial programs.

--steffen