[TUHS] Dynamics between BSD and Linux

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Feb 3 06:10:09 AEST 2018

On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 10:11:20PM -0800, Bakul Shah wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Feb 2018 19:44:48 -0800 Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
> Larry McVoy writes:
> >
> > It's a bummer because BSD brings minimalism to the table.  You can run
> > a BSD machine in 128MB and it works.  Hell, it used to work great in 4MB.
>
> I think this is the crux of the issue. As a group gets bigger,
> minimalism is hard to maintain. To have a fighting chance you
> have inculcate new people in the same minimalism culture and
> that takes time. This puts a higher bar to entry.
>
> > The BSD stuff isn't being taken seriously because the BSD people aren't
> > interested in taking new people seriously.  Which is a shame because the
> > work that Netflix and other BSD people have done is really cool.
>
> If you think what BSD folks have done is cool, just join in.
> Why not ignore the personalities and the popularity contest.

Because I'm old and tired and not really interested in playing that
game?

And because if BSD wants to succeed it's doing it wrong.  I'm not Mr
Big Shot but I do have a track record of being somewhat clueful.  If
I'm not good enough for BSD how will unknown people fare?

But I think we're pretty far into the weeds, don't want to give
Warren more gray hairs so perhaps this is better if it is taken
off list.