[TUHS] Happy birthday, Dick Hustvedt!

Paul Winalski paul.winalski at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 08:16:04 AEST 2018

On 2/17/18, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
> Let's see how much thread-drift I can generate this time...
>
> Dick Hustvedt was born on this day in 1946; an architect of RSX-11 and
> VMS, he also had a weird sense of humour which he demonstrated by
> enshrining the "microfortnight" into VMS.
>
> Sadly, we lost him in a car accident in 2008.

THE best engineer and software architect that I ever worked with.  At
least as talented as Dave Cutler, without the arrogance and nasty
temper.  A conference room in DEC's Nashua NH software engineering
facility was named after him.

One of Dick's April Fool's Day hacks, the SD-730 Solar Horologue was
kept in the Hustvedt conference room for many years.  It is now at VMS
Software, Inc.

-Paul W.