[TUHS] Happy birthday, Dick Hustvedt!

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Sun Feb 18 14:53:54 AEST 2018

On Saturday, February 17, 2018, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> Let's see how much thread-drift I can generate this time...
>
> Dick Hustvedt was born on this day in 1946; an architect of RSX-11 and
> VMS, he also had a weird sense of humour which he demonstrated by
> enshrining the "microfortnight" into VMS.
>
> Sadly, we lost him in a car accident in 2008.

Hmm, that's actually not true.  He had a car accident in 1984 on his way to
the office which left him with brain damage.  He later died in 2008.

Dick Hustvedt, Peter Lipman and David Cutler were the principal engineers
responsible for VMS.  Lipman left DEC the same year (1984) and we all know
the later history of Cutler... ;)

--Andy