[TUHS] Dave Cutler (was Re: Re: Happy birthday, Dick Hustvedt!)

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Wed Feb 21 11:20:19 AEST 2018

I used the VMS PL/1 to write an ISO transport layer as a gigantic
finite state machine in the computed GOTO via a jump table. First job
from graduating. Not my finest moment, but the compiler was awesome.
Fast, rigid. I think I had to get somebody to write some bliss32 or
even ASM to do a trick in the stack for some debug, cool moment for
me. The box of fiches of the OS code was there in the machineroom, It
was a revalation to me you could do that: go "read" the code, and see
what it did.

I don't know if we used VMS C from Dec. I have a feeling if you ran
Eunice, you used pcc or a derivative of pcc. Cross library calling was
pretty straightforward (ok, so passing function addresses and dynamic
structures into FORTRAN not such) and VMS had a well defined 'postbox'
mechanism for async I/O which was wierd if you were used to UNIX but
then .. the entire FS in VMS was wierd if you were used to UNIX.
Wierd, but also comforting: you told the filesystem you wanted fast
record indexing into a file as a binary construct and it said "sure:
I'll do that" and as long as you opened the file with the right
semantics, thats what you got.

I still have my thin-form PL/1 cheetsheet booklet. Its fat. Most of
these were 3-fold cards, its got staples. Not a big language mind you.

So basically, his compiler got me my first paper.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/spe.4380150503/full