[TUHS] Dave Cutler (was Re: Re: Happy birthday, Dick Hustvedt!)

Nemo cym224 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 06:18:27 AEST 2018

On 20/02/2018, George Michaelson <ggm at algebras.org> wrote (in part):
> I don't know if we used VMS C from Dec. I have a feeling if you ran
> Eunice, you used pcc or a derivative of pcc. Cross library calling was
> pretty straightforward (ok, so passing function addresses and dynamic
> structures into FORTRAN not such) [...]

Hhmmm... I recall using DEC's C compiler, which we called VAX C.
Calling C stuff from VAX FORTRAN required jiggery-pokery and the other
way was hopeless.  I recall (assuming no wetware bit-rot on my part)
that DEC's languages did not pass on the stack but stuffed the
arguments somewhere, passing a pointer to the somewhere.

N.