[TUHS] OT: critical Intel design flaw

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jan 5 07:16:46 AEST 2018

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 1:56 PM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso at mit.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 10:29:59AM -0800, Bakul Shah wrote:
> > 16MB of memory) and installed 386bsd. I also played with
> > linux-0.11 but I recall reading something about Linus using
> > SysV as a reference and that was the end of my interest in
> > linux!
>
> As far as I know that was never true.  We used used POSIX as a
> reference mainly because it was more easily available as a
> specification.  So that meant that we implemented termios support, and
> not termio, or the BSD variant.  The networking layer was all BSD
> sockets; we certainly never implemented STREAMS, for goodness sake!  :-)

There was a natural bias towards SysV interfaces, which highlighted the
differences with BSD interfaces in some areas and may have left that
impression...

Linus certainly had access to SysV or SysV derived systems, but there
wasn't even a whisper at the time he copied code from there. And the few
maybe less than completely legit versions of SysV that are now available
bear this out: they look nothing at all like the 0.11-linux tree.

Thank goodness for the sockets thing... Even though it's a horrible
interface, it was less horrible than STREAMS...

Warner