[TUHS] Kernel Sizes

Doug McIlroy doug at cs.dartmouth.edu
Mon Jan 22 08:36:05 AEST 2018

> I seem to remember that at some point early on, we spent some of our
> capital budget on buying another 16K bytes for the PDP-11.  As I
> recall, the deal was that the OS got 8K and users got 8K.  I also
> recall that that purchase was 20% of our capital budget for the
> year...

> Doug, did I remember this correctly?

> Steve

Things did happen that way. I don't specifically remember the
numbers, but those you state have the ring of truth.

Memory came in (expensive) 4K increments. When the keepers of
Unix in the Charlotte wire center wanted to add 4K, their
management consented only on the condition that the wizards
in Research would confirm that roposed new functionality
really required it.

doug