[TUHS] Kernel Sizes

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Mon Jan 22 09:42:53 AEST 2018

> A self-imposed limit of 16K held in v1, and was quite fully utilized.
> When the iernel was rewritten in C, the limit (perhaps larger by then)
> influenced the C compiler. More than one optimization was stimulated
> by the need to keep the kernel in bounds.
>
> Doug

The LSX kernel was kept within a self-imposed limit of 16KB as well.

I've often thought that LSX was V5 'regressed' to the concepts of
V1, which was facing similar hardware constraints. Is that a
reasonable view?

For example, LSX has a maximum of three processes that are swapped
in and out in a stack-like fashion. Only one process is ever in core.

Is that how V1 was organized?

I realize that LSX was API compatible with V5/V6 and I don't mean
'regressed' in that sense.

Paul