[TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Tue Jul 10 02:30:39 AEST 2018

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018, at 07:34, ron at ronnatalie.com wrote:
> The bigger issue with the early printf is it just called putchar and
> putchar only output to stdout or what ever the global fout variable was
> set to.
> There was a comment in the manual that the fout concept was kludgy.

V6 'iolib' printf has an interesting approach to fixing this:

If the first argument was 0 through 9, it was taken to be a file descriptor, and the second argument was the format string. If it was -1, the second argument was the output string (as for later sprintf), and the third was the format string. Otherwise, the first argument was the format string.

(I'm curious as to how much "iolib" was actually used, since it doesn't appear to have been included by default - there was a different printf routine in libc)