[TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Jul 10 03:13:09 AEST 2018

With V5/V6 C I/O was a lot like what Larry was describing for getopts(3) it
was all over over the map.  There was the portable I/O library which I sort
of think of as the prequel to studio but I don’t remember uSing it much.  I
must have run into most of the different ways people did I/O in some
program(s) but I don’t remember any one off hand.

I think the thing to remember is that at the time system programming
languages such as C and Bliss were noted for not having I/O built into the
language- it was supported externally.  DEC (CMU) with Bliss had rich set
of libraries (often in assembler already available) and force/matched by
them with their users.  Unix and C grew up independently which I think is
part of why it was a tad more random.   BY the time dmr adds stdio, it was
still early enough in the life to displace the randomness for something as
important as I/O, whereas lack of use of something.like getopt would not
become clearly deficient until after widespread success.

--
Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual