[TUHS] core

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Jun 16 00:21:44 AEST 2018

On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 7:19 AM, A. P. Garcia <a.phillip.garcia at gmail.com>
wrote:

> jay forrester first described an invention called core memory in a lab
> notebook 69 years ago today.

​Be careful -- Forrester named it and put it into an array and build a
random access memory with it, but An Wang invented and patented basic
technology we now call 'core' in 1955  2,708,722
<https://patents.google.com/patent/US2708722A/en>  (calling it `dynamic
memory')​.   As I understand it (I'm old, but not that old so I can not
speak from experience, as I was a youngling when this patent came about),
Wang thought Forrester's use of his idea was great, but Wang's patent was
the broader one.

There is an interesting history of Wang and his various fights at: An Wang
- The Man Who Might Have Invented The Personal Computer
<http://www.i-programmer.info/history/people/550-an-wang-wang-laboratories.html>

ᐧ