[TUHS] off-topic list

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Sat Jun 23 00:46:06 AEST 2018

On 22 Jun 2018, at 15:28, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> For the record, I'm fine with old stuff getting discussed on TUHS.
> Even not Unix stuff.  We wandered into Linux/ext2 with Ted, that was fun.
> We've wandered into the VAX history (UWisc got an 8600 and called it
> "speedy" - what a mistake) and I learned stuff I didn't know, so that
> was fun (and sounded just like history at every company I've worked for,
> sadly :)

As a perpetrator of some of this off-topicness I think (on reflection, I originally also wondered about a different list) that a good approach would be to allow anyone, if something is just clearly off-topic, to say 'please take this to a more appropriate forum', but if no-one does so it should be fine.  Obviously this requires people to actually do that, but I hope no-one sits and fumes without saying anything.  Equally obviously this is just my opinion.

(My main problem with off-topic things is now that the OSX mail client no longer seems to be able to reliably thread things which I find an astonishing regression, so I have to delete several threads.  I suspect it gets precisely no care and feeding from Apple, at least not from anyone who understands email.)

--tim