[TUHS] Request: Unix Photos, scanned ephemera, anecdotes, stories, interviews

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Sat Jun 23 15:32:16 AEST 2018

All, I've had a fair bit of positive feedback for my TUHS work. In reality
I'm just the facilitator, collecting the stuff that you send me and keeping
the mailing list going.

I think we've captured nearly all we can of the 1970s Unix in terms of
software. After that it becomes commercial, but I am building up the
"Hidden Unix" archive to hold that. Just wish I could open that up ...

What we haven't done a good job yet is to collect other things: photos,
stories, anecdotes, scanned ephemera.

Photos & scanned things: I'm very happy to collect these, but does anybody
know of an existing place that accepts (and makes available online) photos
and scanned ephemera? They are a bit out of scope for bitsavers as far as
I can tell, but I'm happy to be corrected. Al? Other comments here?

Stories & anecdotes: definitely type them in & e-mail them in and/or e-mail
them to me if you want me just to preserve them. There is the Unix wiki I
started here: https://wiki.tuhs.org/doku.php?id=start, but maybe there is
already a better place. Gunkies?

Interviews: Sometimes it's easier to glean stories & knowledge with interviews.
I've never tried this but perhaps it's time. Who is up to have an audio
interview? I'll worry about the technical details eventually, but is there
interest?

All of the above would slot in with the upcoming 50th anniversary. If you
do have photos, bits of paper, stories to tell etc., then let's try to
preserve them so that they are not lost.

Cheers all, Warren