[TUHS] Old mainframe I/O speed (was: core)

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Sat Jun 23 20:32:24 AEST 2018

On 2018-06-22 20:01, Clem Cole<clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
> One of the other BI people, who's name now escapes me, although I can see
> his face in my mind, maybe I'll think of it later), would go on to do the
> PCI for Alpha a couple of years later.   As I said, DEC did manage to get
> that one public, after the BI was made private as Erik points out.

Clem, I think I saw you say something similar in an earlier post.
To me it sounds as if you are saying that DEC did/designed PCI.
Are you sure about that? As far as I know, PCI was designed and created
by Intel, and the first users were just plain PC machines.
Alpha did eventually also get PCI, but it was not where it started, and
DEC had no control at all about PCI being public.

Might you have been thinking of Turbobus, Futurebus, or some other thing
that DEC did? Or do you have some more information about DEC being the
creator of PCI?

   Johnny