[TUHS] Old mainframe I/O speed

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Sat Jun 23 21:57:51 AEST 2018

On 2018-06-23 13:39, Clem cole wrote:
> PCI was a late 1980s DEC design bus design that where released via license ala the Ethernet experience of  the xerox/dec/Intel blue book.  DEC had mostly learned it lesson that interface standards were better shared.  I’ve forgotten now the name of the person who lead the team.  I did not know him very well.  I can picture his face as I said.

It's just that this sounds so much like the TURBOchannel (not Turbobus
as I wrote previously). That bus exactly matches your description of
details, timelines and circumstances, while the PCI, to my knowledge
don't match at all.

And my recollection also matches Wikipedia, which even gives the PCI
V1.0 spec being released in 1992. (See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI)

Compare to TURBOchannel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TURBOchannel

   Johnny