[TUHS] Request: Unix Photos, scanned ephemera, anecdotes, stories, interviews

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Sun Jun 24 09:43:45 AEST 2018

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 03:32:16PM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
>What we haven't done a good job yet is to collect other things: photos,
>stories, anecdotes, scanned ephemera.

A few updates. I e-mailed Peter Salus about QCU primary sources. He wrote:

  Sorry to say (a) most of the photos were borrowed (from, e.g. Kirk
  McKusick and Debbie Scherrer) and then returned.  The transcripts of
  interviews, etc., were on a DEC back-up tape that went astray about 20
  years ago, but even then, I knew no one who could read it.  (You know,
  when QCU was in process, Addison-Wesley was just installing a way to
  receive mss. electronically.)

So I'll hit on these people and others soon :-)

Jason Scott from archive.org wrote:

   We're absolutely a good home for scanned ephemera and photos. We do
   a lot of it. Examples of collections we have:
   https://archive.org/details/bitsavers
   https://archive.org/details/manuals
   https://archive.org/details/catalogs
   You can begin to scan things and we can host it generally, and then as
   the set grows we can make you a collection.

Therefore, I propose that we start uploading scans of Unix photos and
memorabilia to archive.org and then ask Jason to make a collection to
hold all of this. How does that sound?

Cheers, Warren