[TUHS] Old mainframe I/O speed (was: core)

Norman Wilson norman at oclsc.org
Sun Jun 24 13:14:54 AEST 2018

Ron Minnich:

  Jon Hall used to love telling the story of the VAX backplane with the glue
  in the board slots, which clever customers managed to damage and have
  repaired with a non-glued-up backplane.

=====

It wasn't exactly a VAX backplane; it was a QBus backplane,
though I don't know whether this marketing-induced castration
was performed on anywhere but on the backplaces of certain
MicroVAX models.

I think one of my saved-from-the-dumpster BA23s had one
of those backplanes.  I just declared it to be a source
of spare parts, other than backplanes.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON