[TUHS] Old mainframe I/O speed (was: core)

Paul Winalski paul.winalski at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 23:03:39 AEST 2018

On 6/23/18, Norman Wilson <norman at oclsc.org> wrote:
> Ron Minnich:
>
>   Jon Hall used to love telling the story of the VAX backplane with the
> glue
>   in the board slots, which clever customers managed to damage and have
>   repaired with a non-glued-up backplane.

That was the VAXstation-11/RC.  Marketing wanted a VAXstation with
fewer backplane slots that it could sell at a cheaper price.  Rather
than manufacture a different board, they just filled the extra
backplane slots with glue to render them unusable.  "RC" officially
stood for "restricted configuration", but we in Engineering called it
"resin caulked".

-Paul W.