[TUHS] off-topic list

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Tue Jun 26 17:01:00 AEST 2018

Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> > "In 1999 PMDF was translated from Pascal to C. The C version of PMDF
> > became the basis of the Sun Java System Messaging Server of Sun
> > Microsystems"
> >

> But I can say the date has to be wrong on this quote
> you mention.  I would think the translation from Pascal back to C would
> have been 10 year earlier and that would make more sense.   By 1999, I had
> left LCC.    As I said, Simon would be a good person to ask if I can dig
> him up.

It sounds more like:

Early 1980s: C MMDF translated to VMS Pascal.
1999: PMDF translated anew to C by Sun.

I briefly remember having MMDF at Georgia Tech, I think in the 4.1 BSD
time frame; it was used for CSNet and UUCP for USENET / UUCB mail. Then
when 4.2 came along, I think it was dropped for Sendmail.

But I *really* don't remember the details, just that MMDF was in use
on one of the systems I used a long time ago.

Thanks,

Arnold