[TUHS] off-topic list

Derek Fawcus dfawcus+lists-tuhs at employees.org
Tue Jun 26 18:57:56 AEST 2018

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 05:15:00PM -0400, Clem Cole wrote:
> > Wait, are you saying that qmail was written as a replacement for PMDF? Or
> > that you used qmail as your replacement for PMDF?
>
> Unclear - why Borstein does anything in my mind.

Bernstein.

> Best I can tell he wrote
> because he (and a lot of us) disliked sendmail.   I think he felt MMDF was
> too much of a mess by that point and it was time to start over.   He had
> already did a replacement for bind.  But it would have primarily been a

As I recall qmail came before djbdns.  I started using qmail in the 90s in
its pre 1.0 version because I wanted a SMTP MTA didn't want to use sendmail,
and had wasted too much time trying to get my head around MMDF.

qmail had the advantage of being small, simple, with easily understood
distinct parts,  and one could easily extend it - sort of in the tools
approach, by plugging bits in to its dataflow pipeline.

The code was a bit 'interesting', but not too awkward.

DF