[TUHS] Happy birthday, symbolics.com!

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Mar 15 09:38:55 AEST 2018

Sorry to reply to myself....

But for a few years after we started registering names, requests went to
hostmaster at sri-nic.arpa. Around 1987 or so, a big email came out that said
you had to go through hostmaster at nic.ddn.mil to get them, and you needed to
fill out an email form that was programmatically parsed. I recall from the
day that getting domains registers was a hit-or-miss sort of affair, since
the parser was super picky. I know a friend missed out on grue.com because
his first attempt had some misplaced word and by the time he heard back and
redid it, someone else had jumped in line in front of him...

Warner