[TUHS] Happy birthday, symbolics.com!

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Mar 16 05:44:29 AEST 2018

Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:

> This was well before my time, so pardon my ignorance here, but who was
> the registrar that they used to register this domain?

Registrars are a late 1990s concept :-) They are a consequence of the
effort to break up the Network Solutions monopoly - the IAHC and the
foundation of ICANN. (Another consequence was the introduction of new
TLDs.) The early technical mechanism underpinning this policy decision was
the registry-registrar protocol (RRP, RFC 2832) which has a much more
straightforward name (and design) than its successor EPP, the extensible
provisioning protocol.

Tony.
Northeast Viking, North Utsire: Southeasterly 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8 in
south, decreasing 4 at times in north. Moderate or rough in northern and
eastern North Utsire, otherwise rough or very rough. Fair. Good.