[TUHS] Origin of the MOTD file?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Mar 16 01:51:59 AEST 2018

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 11:29 AM, Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the things that's always fascinated me about Unix is the community
> aspect; in particular, I imagine that in the early days when machines were
> multiplexed among many simultaneous users, I wonder whether there was a
> greater sense of knowing what others were up to, working on, or generally
> doing.
>
> I think of the /etc/motd file as being a part of this. It is, in some very
> real sense, a way to announce things to the entire user community.
>
> So what are its origins? Where did it first appear? I haven't dug into
> this, but I imagine it was at Berkeley. What was it used for early on at
> individual sites?

​I'm pretty sure it predates the #1 editions, if check the sources for the
login program on TUHS you can be sure. Steve Johnson and others have
pointed out that systems people (such as Dennis) were often night owls and
often added/changed things​ in the UNIX group or their own systems.   This
was no different than the way other systems (such as timesharing system
like TOPS or TSS worked).   System time in the day was expensive and if you
wanted to make a change the affected a lot of people, you did it 'off
hours.'

Remember, most people in those days were 'dialing in' or going to a
terminal room.   So you got a fresh log in session once or twice a day.
 So, I believe that the idea of motd was to have a standard place where
everyone could get messages that might affect them and be pretty sure you
saw it before you started your work.

For instance, two messages I can think of I put the EE/Mellon systems years
ago were on the order of:  *'New Pascal compiler installed, should fix the
core dump issue Tron was having - send me email if you are still having
issues.   Clem'*    Or  *'Klone and I just updated our RK07 disk driver to
add bad disk block support -- we think its working as far as we have been
able to test.   If you notice something strange, please check the console
log before you call either us..  Clem'*

You get the idea,
Clem

ᐧ