[TUHS] Origin of the MOTD file?

Ron Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Fri Mar 16 01:41:11 AEST 2018

> Try adding "Segmentation Fault (core dumped)".

About the time  computers went from being a tool of the research geeks to operational use at BRL (we went from senior management saying "don't send us email, we don't read it" to management telling everybody "they must check their email regularly for important messages from them:"), the security officers found out about /etc/motd.    They would periodically put the same kind of "security rah rah" stuff we had posters all over the facility ("Strike up the band for safety.", etc...).    After a few months of this I started sneaking in slogans of my own.   The first few (things like "Security is good") escaped notice.    But they caught on the day I put up "Even the ears have walls."