[TUHS] Origin of the MOTD file?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Mar 16 06:25:17 AEST 2018

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 2:20 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Mar 2018, Chet Ramey wrote:
>
> One amusing thing to do with /etc/motd is to add the like “You might have
>>> mail.”  [...]
>>>

>> Try adding "Segmentation Fault (core dumped)".
>>

> I've done both of those, along with "System down for disk crashing at
> ...".  It was sort of true, as it was scheduled maintenance which involved
> removing the RK-05 disks, prising them open with something like a speculum
> (in the open air!), and running some sort of a deflection gauge along the
> platter to see how warped it was.  I think the DEC Field Circus Ginger-Beer
> also wiped the heads and replaced the NiCd battery...

At school, one of the admins had in place, for a day or three, a cron job
that randomly changed /etc/motd every few minutes to append one of several
variations of Segmentation Fault (core dumped), but it was deviously
different. "Segretation Fault (core dumped)" "Segmentation Fault (core
duped)" "Bussing Error (cops deployed)" etc

Warner