[TUHS] daemons are not to be exorcised

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Wed Mar 21 07:09:17 AEST 2018

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 4:14 PM, Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 02:46:00PM -0400, Clem Cole wrote:
>
>>   As for Paul's comment about the daemons.  Yes, Kirk McKusick who
>>   actually drew the original BSD daemon with purple sneakers, was wearing
>>   the infamous blue tee with said logo out walking on the street, as one
>>   someone else in the party (maybe Sam Leffler) sporting a 10 anniversary
>>   USENIX shirt in San Antonio many years ago, which has the daemons shown
>>   top of a PDP-11 with pipes, the null device, et al.   He has quite a
>>   tale of the experience.
>>

> The daemons on the PDP-11 with pipes was drawn by Phil Foglio:
> https://www.mckusick.com/beastie/shirts/usenix.html
>
> and this image was the inspiration for the BSD daemon.

​Indeed.   Kirk ended up getting some sort of legal rights for his version
of it [don't ask me which - trademark/copyright] .

Sadly my wife threw out my Foglio shirt a few years after we were married
(one of our first disagreements on the value of 'old' things - which
continues today - now she stay out the basement where my museum is😎.   In
her defense, it was probably 5-6 years old then, had holes and had not worn
well.   The shirts were very inexpensively made and frankly after 20-30
washings, the red piping on the side had faded and a few more washing the
printing started to fall off.
ᐧ