[TUHS] daemons are not to be exorcised

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Wed Mar 21 07:15:06 AEST 2018

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 4:25 PM, Paul Winalski <paul.winalski at gmail.com>
wrote:

> TOPS-10 had daemons (file daemon, for example).  Does the TOPS-10
> usage of the term predate or postdate its use in Unix?
>
> -Paul W.

​It was all pretty contemporary in my view. I suspect CTSS was first and
the others picked up the idea from there. Univac EXEC-8 called them
'symbiants' as I recall, and I think TSS used the term 'system tasks' but
we did refer to them as daemons also. Of course, I saw them called daemons
on TOPS and UNIX around the same time and never really made a big deal one
way or the other; again I think because we used the term on the IBM systems
sometimes.

Clem

ᐧ