[TUHS] FORTRAN

Ron Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Wed Mar 21 07:59:13 AEST 2018

> Paul can correct me, but I don't think DEC even developed a Pascal for TOPS originally - IIRC the one I used came from the universities.   I think the first Pascal sold was targeted for the VAX.
We made heavy use of PASCAL on the TOPS10 system at JHU, but I don't know what the origin of it was.    I'd be surprised if it wasn't DEC.   That shop wasn't overly innovative.
>>  but its character handling was awful.
​> Yep - but as others have pointed out, with something like RATFOR it could be made usable and that's what a lot of people I know did when they had too.   As I said, the FPS folks wrote a parallelizing, Fortran for the FPS-164 in Ratfor A compiler, to me, is the definition if a character based application if I can name one.

Ratfor got you decent control structures but it didn't get around the fortran data model suckage.

ᐧ
ᐧ
ᐧ