[TUHS] FORTRAN

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Wed Mar 21 09:00:32 AEST 2018

On Mar 20, 2018, at 2:36 PM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> Paul can correct me, but I don't think DEC even developed a Pascal for TOPS originally - IIRC the one I used came from the universities.   I think the first Pascal sold was targeted for the VAX.  Also, RT11 and RSX were 'laboratory' systems and those systems were dominated by Fortran back in the day - so DEC marketing thought in those terms.

True re TOPS-10.

The TOP-10 Pascal compiler was ported from the one for
CDC-6000 (authors: Urs Amman, Kesav Nori and may be others).
The CDC version was what was described in the Pascal User
Manual and Report by Jensen and Wirth. IIRC, someone at Purdue
was maintaining it. I knew it well as I had added formatted IO
for scalars, sets & a few more things that I forget now + I
was studying it with an aim to write my own compiler. I
believe this was the port:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/220846309_A_pascal_compiler_bootstrapped_on_a_DEC-System_10

[Even the portable "P4" Pascal compiler must've been derived
from the same original code as I recognize its code shape and
random stuff like variable names etc.  p4 sources are online
but I don't see the tops-10 ones]