[TUHS] Happy 25th Birthday NetBSD!

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Mar 22 08:35:49 AEST 2018

Revision 1.1, Sun Mar 21 09:45:37 1993 UTC (25 years ago) by cgd

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sbin/init/init.c?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&only_with_tag=MAIN

Today is commonly considered the birthday of NetBSD.

Theo told me (seven years ago) that he, cgd, and glass (and one other
person) planned it within 30 minutes after discussing with the CSRG and
BSDI guys in the hot tub at the Town & Country Resort in San Diego at
the January 25-29 1993 USENIX conference. (Does anyone have more to
share about this discussion?) Soon, cgd had setup a CVS repository
(forked 386BSD with many patchkits) which was re-rolled a few times (due
to corrupted CVS). (So maybe March 21 is later than the real birthday.)

As far as I know, it is the oldest continuously-maintained complete
open source operating system. (It predates Slackware Linux, FreeBSD,
and Debian Linux by some months.)

"NetBSD" wasn't mentioned by name in the April 19. 1993 release files
(but was named in the announcement).
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/release/NetBSD/NetBSD-0.8

On April 28, the kernel was renamed to /netbsd, the boot loader
identified it as NetBSD, and various references of 386BSD were changed
to NetBSD.
https://github.com/NetBSD/src/commit/a477732ff85d5557eef2808b5cbf221f3c74553b
https://github.com/NetBSD/src/commit/446115f2d63299e52f34977fb4a88c289dcae92f