[TUHS] unix "awesome list"

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Wed May 9 03:20:43 AEST 2018

On Tue, May 08, 2018 at 11:31:37AM -0500, Michael Parson wrote:
> Going beyond 'cat -v considered harmful', things like ifconfig, route, and
> netstat being considered 'deprecated' and replaced with the 'ip' tool.  Same
> with syslog, cron, init, and who knows what else, being replaced with
> systemd and journald.  This doesn't even cover how vim has become way more
> than just a GNU re-implementation of vi.

I'm not thrilled with the systemd stuff either, I still don't see that it is
solving anything that wasn't solved.  But somebody must like it, it's a big
change.

vim, on the other hand, oh do I love me some vim.  It's pretty faithful to
the original vi but you get split windows, infinite undo, it remembers
stuff from one invocation to the next, it's pretty sweet.
--
---