[TUHS] unix "awesome list"

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed May 9 03:49:15 AEST 2018

On Tue, 8 May 2018, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Tue, May 08, 2018 at 11:31:37AM -0500, Michael Parson wrote:
>> Going beyond 'cat -v considered harmful', things like ifconfig,
>> route, and netstat being considered 'deprecated' and replaced with
>> the 'ip' tool.  Same with syslog, cron, init, and who knows what
>> else, being replaced with systemd and journald.  This doesn't even
>> cover how vim has become way more than just a GNU re-implementation
>> of vi.
>
> I'm not thrilled with the systemd stuff either, I still don't see that
> it is solving anything that wasn't solved.  But somebody must like it,
> it's a big change.

I'm not thrilled with it either, but it seems to be how things are
going, so, I've been forced to learn how to use it.

> vim, on the other hand, oh do I love me some vim.  It's pretty
> faithful to the original vi but you get split windows, infinite undo,
> it remembers stuff from one invocation to the next, it's pretty sweet.

I resisted it for a long time, installed nvi on my penguin boxes so I
could have something resembling the vi I was raised on, but I've come to
appreciate a few of its features.  It just took some time to reprogram
my fingers for some of the features.  I find 'vimdiff' extremely useful,
but it's not really 'the unix way'. :)

--
Michael Parson
Pflugerville, TX