[TUHS] Old Usenet newsreader source code?

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Wed May 9 06:01:27 AEST 2018

On Tue, 08 May 2018 12:00:48 -0700 Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon at orthanc.ca> wrote:
Lyndon Nerenberg writes:
> > The problem is, many of us have stopped using it for whatever reason, and
> > certainly don't store/forward much.
> >
> > Maybe it's time to take it back and get back to the original intention of
> > USENET.
>
> So where on Earth does one get an NNTP feed from these days?  Lord knows
> I've tried.  An no, I'm not talking about a pay-for-access NNRP host that
> I have to pull things from.

$ echo $NNTPSERVER
news.eternal-september.org

I think you have to register and authenticate when you connect.

I use tin now. Used to use nn in nn-6.4 days. Also used
thunderbird in between. May have used every other reader at
various times.

Back in 1989 timeframe I used to get a pretty complete feed
via uucp and maintain locally with cnews. Recently I tried
using "fetchnews" recently for that purpose (for the groups I
want) since eternal-september is a bit slow but something went
wrong.